Old Colony Building: Co-Developer & Owner
The Old Colony Building is 17-story landmark building in the Chicago Loop, located directly across from the Harold Washington Library. Designed by the architectural firm Holabird & Roche in 1893-94, it stands at approximately 215 feet and was the tallest building in Chicago at the time it was built. It was the first tall building to use a system of internal portal arches as a means of bracing the structure against high winds.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, and was designated a Chicago Landmark on July 7, 1978.
Today, the Old Colony Building has been remodeled as a new and innovative residential community for students—now dubbed Arc at Old Colony. While the exterior of the building remains the same, the interior has been revamped to meet the needs of modern and technologically-savvy college students. Arc at Old Colony’s modern and minimalistic designs keep the residents’ living space clutter-free—and with every unit being fully furnished—a resident’s move-in becomes fast and efficient.
THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE - 8/29/15
"Pappageorge Haymes...have freshened, not wrecked, the Old Colony's matchless character."